Tune into this week’s recipe from under the sea; delicious, spicy, garlic shrimp.
Shrimp are great part of a healthful, heart smart diet. They:
- are a fantastic source of the powerful source of the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory carotenoid called astaxanthin. In animal studies, risk of colon cancer is lowered by intake of astaxanthin, and immune-related problems of diabetes are also reduced.
- are excellent source of the antioxidant mineral selenium. Selenium deficiency has been shown to be a risk factor for heart failure and other forms of cardiovascular disease, as well as for other problems including type 2 diabetes, compromised cognitive function, and depression.
- are rich in omega-3 fat content; including about 50% EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and 50% DHA (docosahexaenoic acid).
- contain a favorable ratio of omega-3:omega-6 fats. There are approximately three times as many omega-3s as omega-6s in shrimp.
- contain sterols such as beta-sitosterol, campesterol, and brassicasterol. These compounds function as anti-inflammatory molecules and they are associated with decreased levels of LDL-cholesterol.
Tune and start cooking today!